It's a start Dafcast Draft
ברכות
שבת
עירובין
פסחים
ראש השנה
יומא
סוכה
ביצה
תענית
מגילה
מועד קטן
חגיגה
יבמות
כתובות
נדרים
נזיר
סוטה
גיטין
קידושין
בבא קמא
בבא מציעא
בבא בתרא
סנהדרין
מכות
שבועות
עבודה זרה
הוריות
זבחים
מנחות
חולין
בכורות
ערכין
תמורה
כריתות
מעילה
תמיד
נידה

PREVIEW OF THE DAFCAST WEBSITE FOR CYCLE 13

Please do not forward this link around yet! This is still in development and will be "released", God willing, on August 1, in time for the thirteenth cycle of Daf Yomi.

Disclaimers, Copyright, and Credits

Disclaimers

This is an early draft. I haven't proofread; there are plenty of typos and probably some more significant errors as well.
Most pages on this site are currently auto-translated. The autotranslations are intended as a starting point for my manual translations. At best, they are awkward stringing-togethers of words and phrases in the corpus database that can benefit from cleaning up. At worst, they are picking the wrong homograph. Auto-translations are indicated by italics.
I am not a rabbi or an expert. These are my translations, and in some cases I am certainly misunderstanding things.
The Talmud is a document of its time. While the Talmud is a foundational document of Judaism, it must be read in its historical context. There are passages that are xenophobic, sexist, and irreconcilable with modern science. Not everything in these pages represents contemporary Judaism.

Copyright

This translation is protected by copyright. I'm putting a lot of effort into this project. Please respect that by only copying with my permission.
I intend to provide free licenses for most uses. I plan to use a Creative Commons CC-NC-BY-SA license, which will allow you to re-use my translations as long as you don't charge money for them (NC), as long as you give me credit (BY), and as long as you make your derived work available under the same terms (SA). But I'm not ready to do that yet because this is still a very rough work-in-progress.
In the meantime, if you want to re-use this, please contact me. I am willing to discuss re-use on an ad hoc basis. Perhaps the one page you want to use is actually ready for re-use. Ask. I'll probably work out a way to say "yes."

Credits

I need to clean up this section. But for now, I'll note that I've made use of the Hebrew/Aramaic text of the Bavli at Mechon Mamre; Jastrow's dictionary; "The Practical Talmud Dictionary" by Yitzchak Frank. I've also used the big three translations of the Talmud --- Soncino (English), Artscroll (English), and Steinsaltz (Hebrew) --- and the Kehati (English) edition of the Mishna, to help me understand passages before translating them.
Go to daf 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Or set your preferences to change how Hebrew/Aramaic is displayed.

דף ד,א גמרא

??? It once happened regarding ??? Rabba said: that I ??? Because ??? Watch out for leading vav "And in the hearts of but: in reality ??? you shall It once happened He challenged this "He" meaning... Rabbi Zeira they have fulfilled the mitzvah witnesses ??? in which is not It once happened But why? this one by the mouth of it is written of them Rabba said: that I witnesses ??? Because ??? One who eats ??? The Rabbis taught (Lev. 7) all milk ox ??? No. ??? on all One and one these are the words of R' Yishmael but the sages say he is not liable except One Let him say In this case, what they disagree about For R' Yishmael reasoned ??? on Is this not ??? And the rabbbis reason that yes. ??? on Is this not ??? In reality lit: In the world reasoned R' Yishmael yes. ??? on Is this not ??? that I Here in this case, ??? for him ??? he read all milk No. ??? ox ??? why do I have Learn from this ??? And the rabbbis If it was No. it is written ox ??? even milk raw lit., living ??? the writing of ox ??? This comes to imply ??? ox ??? he ??? but: ??? Sarai then the ruling is acceptable. ??? for him except we were The reason is of Rabbi Yishmael that thus reasoned If so, to write all milk ox No. ??? why do I have Learn from this ??? And the rabbbis reason that If it was Therefore, to avoid this incorrect deduction, the Merciful One wrote: all milk ox ??? let a conclusion be drawn by comparing ??? ox ox ??? Just as regarding ??? raw lit., living and "uf" is subject to the same laws as them ??? Even regarding food raw lit., living and "uf" is subject to the same laws as them ??? ??? Therefore, to avoid this incorrect deduction, the Merciful One wrote: ox ??? This comes to imply ??? but: raw lit., living and "uf" Sarai then the ruling is acceptable. ??? except we were The reason is that thus reasoned ??? all milk ??? No. ??? all milk ??? No. ??? ox ??? why do I have Learn from this ??? And the rabbbis reason that If it was the writing of all milk ??? milk ??? is forbidden ??? Sarai And if you would say What then does it mean when it says ??? It is because of this: ??? R' ??? For what reason a maneh worth one hundred dinars the scripture ??? As it is written (in Numbers 18) ??? first-born ox etc. It was necessary to teach both, because otherwise you might err when extending one to the other. For if it was the writing of ox ??? No. ??? of him That there are ??? Just as ??? which provides ??? the Merciful One ??? and let a conclusion be drawn by comparing ??? ox ??? that it is possible ??? Just as ??? which provides ??? the Merciful One ??? and let a conclusion be drawn by comparing ??? ox ??? of him that it is possible ??? Just as ??? which provides ??? next to by some texts star-worship in other texts idolatry from one No. ??? both and let a conclusion be drawn by comparing ??? one ??? Which judgement let a conclusion be drawn by comparing ??? ox ??? Just as ??? which provides ??? next to the Paschal offering No. ??? and let a conclusion be drawn by comparing ??? ??? Just as ??? which provides ??? next to by some texts star-worship in other texts idolatry No. ??? and let a conclusion be drawn by comparing ??? ??? Just as ??? which provides there are in it trapping of ??? Therefore, No. ??? then the ruling is acceptable. ??? But rather, in reality lit: in the world, The reason is of Rabbi Yishmael since we say: from the beginning ??? thus ??? all milk ??? What then does it mean when it says is what you say? Do you really mean that? This ??? ox ??? milk raw lit., living this one For the writing of he read ??? and a thing teach ??? from this general principle it would follow is a law established by the Rabbis reason that No. ??? a thing teach ??? No. everyone agrees lit: according to the whole world ??? a thing ??? and here in this other case, In this case, ??? Rabbi Yishmael reasoned ??? Is this not ??? between ??? or whether ??? milk ox ??? (Lev. 3) ??? the world ??? in all ??? all milk and all blood No. ??? As it is written ??? No. ??? in them raw lit., living Even all milk ox For it is written for him ??? there is not in this case. ??? Therefore, ox ??? he who has arrived ??? on all One and one ??? Is this not ??? milk Is this not ??? the world ??? (Lev. 7) and so when All food milk from ??? who ??? from it Just as This certain individual ??? Even justice. ??? And the rabbbis Is this not ??? Is this not ??? No. ??? And if you wish, I would say we were their reason is a law established by the Rabbis Like that which was said by for him Rav ??? for Rav, ??? Except I can object with text from here: ??? He said to him: upon you Scripture states: (Lev. 7) all milk ox ??? a thing ??? in the case of there is not in this case. Therefore, For he came ox ??? he who has arrived and R' Yishmael He could say to you If so, Let Scripture say all milk ox ??? why do I have Learn from this ??? Rabbi Chanina said: give thanks Rabbi Yishmael in the matter of sacrifice that do not sends except A sin-offering One What is the reason מאי טעמא that is not he is equivalent. justice. Is this not ??? The Rabbis taught One who acts One One who acts there are ??? on all One and one ??? he ate milk and milk in that place one with two ??? he is liable two two desolations ??? One he is liable two He said to him pointed out a contradiction. son of Chama for Rav, ??? This is satisfactory in that place one with two ??? he is liable two It is because of this: ??? except two desolations ??? One why is it that he is liable two this one in the case of ??? there is not in this case. He said to him Here in this case, with what are we dealing? For example, he was eating milk ??? It is because of this: notar but on account of milk He said to him If so, ??? also It is because of this: ??? except Rav Sheshet said For example, he was eating milk ??? and it is R' Yehudah as it is taught: he ate milk ??? he ate milk ??? he is liable two R' Yehuda says: milk ??? three ??? He ascended in the west ??? For example, milk ??? and R' Yishmael She for he said: ??? three

דף ד,ב גמרא

Perhaps, No. ??? Yishmael for thus said Rabbi ??? give thanks he was Rabbi Yishmael in the matter of sacrifice that is not he is liable except A sin-offering One now also like R' Yehudah No. ??? for it is the case that Thus said Rabbi Eliezer give thanks he was Rabbi Yehudah in the matter of sacrifice that do not sends except A sin-offering One except he said Reish Lakish: It is because of this: son of ??? Here in this case, with what are we dealing? For example, ??? with two ??? and who follow the reasoning ??? of Rabbi Joshua for he said: ??? Back to the main body of the text: he ate milk roadkill ??? two milk ??? two Rabbi Yehudah says milk ??? three He said to him: Rav ??? to Raba This is satisfactory according to R' Yehudah we were ??? (Lev. 3) ??? the world (Lev. 7) all milk ox ??? No. ??? (Lev. 22) and all ??? does not eat and that which was sanctified for Temple use this one three ??? except According to the sages, What is the reason מאי טעמא They reason Is this not ??? the world ??? Is this not ??? ox ??? and It was necessary to teach both, because otherwise you might err when extending one to the other. For if it was Therefore, to avoid this incorrect deduction, the Merciful One wrote: ??? then I might incorrectly say: holy offerings he ??? but: Those who are ill I would say No. It is because of this: thus Therefore, to avoid this incorrect deduction, the Merciful One wrote: all milk ox and if the writing of all milk ox ??? milk ??? he ??? It is because of this: that is not ??? but: milk ??? also ??? It was necessary to teach both, because otherwise you might err when extending one to the other. And Rabbi Yehudah reasoned For it is written milk ox ??? it is written except from this general principle it would follow is a law established by the Rabbis reason that No. ??? a thing ??? No. ??? a thing ??? In this case, what they disagree about Rabbi Yehudah reasoned ??? Is this not ??? Is this not ??? And the rabbbis reason that Is this not ??? Is this not ??? No. ??? according to R' Yehudah all milk and all blood No. ??? for what he came should bring himself ??? It was taught: all milk and all blood No. ??? Just as milk ??? two Even blood ??? two these are the words of R' Yehudah but the sages say yes. in it except ??? One and What is the difference milk ??? two without ??? of him. two ??? all milk and all blood No. ??? all milk ox ??? blood also ??? two As it is written of him. two ??? all milk and all blood No. ??? (Lev. 7) and all blood No. ??? in all ??? and to a domesticated animal except I would say Just as milk ??? three Even blood ??? three and what is the difference here, milk ??? three As it is written of him. ??? two ??? Is this not ??? this one three blood also It is necessary to teach this ??? I thought to say Because ??? blood from tumah ??? Come and learn from this. ??? So rather, According to the sages, ??? for what he came should bring himself to account for that which was taught all milk and all blood No. ??? Just as milk ??? that was milked ??? And there is no meaning to the word combine together this with that Even blood ??? blood ??? Because ??? their blood ??? combine together Hey, isn't it the case that from here ??? from there ??? (Lev. 11) and this to you ??? on blood ??? this with that If it was Is this not ??? I thought to say that is only in the case lit., "these words" הני מילי ??? but: as regard to eating, I would say No. we had heard ??? as regard to eating, Ravina said ??? blood a snake ??? combine together And what can we come and learn from this? we were ??? For it might have entered your mind that I would say: ??? as regard to eating, a snake that is not ??? No. ??? as regard to eating, Come and learn from this. ??? In all things ??? Rabba said: three ??? that are said with blood for what One ??? Those who are ill and one ??? holy offerings and one ??? This is satistfactory according to R' Yehudah as it is taught: blood ??? R' Yehuda says: ??? except According to the sages, this particular for what he came and even according to R' Yehudah he is spiritually cut off ??? for him from all blood as it is taught: Rabbi Yehudah says blood Just as Therefore, scripture states: all blood yes. for me except blood holy offerings ??? he would exit in it ??? blood Those who are ill ??? from where do we learn Scripture states: all blood except I would say one ??? Those who are ill and one ??? holy offerings and one ??? Rabba said: five ??? with blood For what reason One ??? Those who are ill and one ??? holy offerings and one ??? and one ??? and one ??? Thus said Rabbi ??? he ate tithe grain ??? three Hey, isn't it the case that yes. ??? on Is this not ??? that I Here in this case, ??? Therefore, to avoid this incorrect deduction, the Merciful One wrote: (Deut. 14) "And you shall eat before Hashem your God tithe ??? inside yes. outside No. Why do I need ??? the Merciful One (Deut. 12) No. ??? to eat ??? tithe ??? If it was ??? that is only in the case lit., "these words" הני מילי ??? but: ??? I would say No. ???

Copyright © 2012 Andrew Marc Greene. All rights reserved.